Monday, December 24, 2012

A Trip to the URM (Union Rescue Mission) and Gifts from my Grandmother...


It all started with my grandmother's bells...  I usually donate at the Goodwill, they're close and have convenient hours.  However, I remembered that at the Union Rescue Mission, a women's and children's shelter in downtown Los Angeles, they have a gift shop where they let the children pick out gifts for their loved ones.  I decided that would be the perfect place to donate the bells, well, the ones I didn't keep...


Next thing you know, I'd set aside some new teddy bears, children's books, and various other items to donate there.  I filled up my trunk and the middle of my car last week and headed off with my friend to downtown L.A..  It's always a difficult place to visit because there are so many people in need, but I was glad to be able to drop off some things that I hope will bring joy this holiday season.


This little Santa I'm keeping though.  My grandmother would hand make ornaments each year to give to us.  Although one of my goals is to have less stuff, the ornaments she made for us with so much love are a collection which I think will always have a place in my home.

Happy holidays!

8 comments:

  1. Such a lovely thing to do to donate for a good cause - I bet the children were happy tick some gifts to give! Wishing you a Happy New Year!
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nina, it's hard for me to give things away, but it always helps me to know that it will hopefully mean something to someone else. Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  2. It's great that you found a good place to make your donations. We all seem to have too much stuff, and it's lovely to be able to share with those who need it more and make a difference in someone's life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie, I do have too much for me and I really hope to get back to reallocating some of it soon...

      Delete
  3. So, I'm curious...are you still cleaning out the cupboards and closets? Looks like it's been awhile. Like you, I too try to get rid of many items and live lighter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I haven't been focusing on having less lately. It is something I'd like to get back to once the next art show I'm doing has passed...

      Delete
  4. I have given away so much stuff since we moved last year.
    Always so many people in need!
    I even gave many many books and that was hard as I am a book lover but I still have plenty of them.

    I can understand why you kept the christmas ornaments that your grandmother made.
    Precious memories there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you!
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete